Moving and Handling People – Online Training Course – Level 2 – CPDUK Accredited – UK Core Skills Training Framework (CSTF) Aligned.
Welcome to our online Moving and Handling People online training course for front-line healthcare and social care providers. All our online training courses, programmes and qualifications are accredited by the CPD Certification Service (CPDUK).
Moving and handling is a crucial part of the working day for employees in most sectors; from moving equipment, laundry, catering, supplies or waste to assisting service users in moving.
Health and social care settings can pose significant moving and handling challenges and risks. Work-related musculoskeletal disorders, including manual handling injuries, are the most common type of occupational ill-health in the UK. It is essential for health and social care workers to learn the correct ways of supporting people with moving and handling.
Moving and Handling People Training Course – CPDUK Accredited E-Learning Course
Study method – Online, self-paced
Estimated duration (Indicative CPD hours) – 2 hours
Course format – Online (24/7 access)
Entry requirements – no prerequisites required
Assessment type – Complete end of course assessment (80% needed to pass and gain CPD certificate)
Certification/Qualification – Downloadable CPD certificate
Cost(s) of assessment and certification – Assessment and certification costs included in the course price
Course accreditation – CPD Certification Service (CPDUK)
Course access – Part-time (1-year access)
Course delivery – via desktop PC/MAC, laptops, tablets or smartphones.
Who is the online Moving and Handling People training course for?
This online Moving and Handling People training course should be completed by those who work in health and social care services, including:
- NHS medical, nursing, AHP and care staff,
- Locum doctors and nurses,
- Locum allied health professionals (AHPs),
- Agency nurses,
- Agency workers,
- Healthcare Assistants,
- Support workers,
- Care assistants, and
- Community services.
Course aims and objectives
The aims and objectives of this online Moving and Handling People training course are to:
- To provide a clear understanding of the legislation regarding moving and handling,
- To help learners understand the risks of poor practice,
- To provide an awareness of recommended ergonomic techniques to minimise manual handling injuries in practice, and
- To inform learners how to carry out manual handling tasks safely.
On completion of this Moving and Handling People e-learning course, the learner will:
- Be able to recognise manual handling risk factors and how injuries can occur,
- Understand employers and employees responsibilities under relevant national Health & Safety legislation including most recent versions of the Manual Handling Operation Regulations,
- Understand their responsibilities under local organisational policies for Moving and Handling,
- Know where additional advice and information can be sought relating to Moving and Handling issues
- Be able to use an ergonomic approach to manual handling and other work tasks leading to improved working posture,
- Understand the principles of good back care to promote general musculoskeletal health,
- Understand the principles of safer handling,
- Know the factors to be included in undertaking a dynamic risk assessment before initiating a moving and handling activity,
- Understand how the organisation uses its risk management processes to inform safe systems of work,
- Be able to choose suitable risk control strategies, resources and support available to facilitate good practice following a risk assessment appropriate to the staff member’s role,
- Know how to provide patients with the best quality care using appropriate, safe and dignified moving and handling strategies,
- Understand normal human movement patterns as a prerequisite to moving and handling people, and
- Understand how multidisciplinary team communication and risk assessments ensure the safe handling of patients.
What is covered in this Moving and Handling People training course?
This online Moving and Handling People training course covers the following:
- An introduction to the key principles of moving and handling,
- An overview of why ergonomic moving and handling is important,
- What the law says about moving and handling,
- The actions that organisations should take to promote a safer workforce (organisational responsibilities),
- Individual responsibilities concerning moving and handling (individual responsibilities),
- Definition of manual handling,
- Why we need to understand how our spine and back work,
- An awareness of the most common moving and handling injuries,
- How healthcare workers can promote healthy back care,
- Recommended ergonomic approaches to risk assessments (LITE/TILE),
- Other moving and handling risk factors,
- The principles of safer moving and handling of people,
- Actions to take following a moving and handling risk assessment:
- The Health and Safety Executive’s (HSE) ‘Numerical Guidelines for Lifting and Lowering Loads’,
- The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) guidelines for handling while seated, and
- The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) pushing and pulling guidelines.
- Key things to remember when team handling and
- Moving and handling information sources.
What is moving and handling in health and social care?
The Manual Handling Operations Regulations define moving and handling as ‘any transporting or supporting of a load (including the lifting, putting down, pushing, pulling, carrying or moving thereof) by hand or by bodily force’.
Why is moving and handling people training essential?
Moving and handling is a crucial part of the working day for most employees; from moving equipment, laundry, catering, supplies or waste to assisting residents in moving.
Health and social care settings can pose significant moving and handling challenges and risks. Work-related musculoskeletal disorders, including manual handling injuries, are the most common type of occupational ill-health in the UK (Health and Safety Executive 2011).
Given nature, type and frequency of moving and handling activities undertaken the risks of injury to staff and patients are considerable and need to be minimised. As part of health and safety at work requirements, employers are expected to provide training on crucial health and safety risks, and this has been supplemented with additional guidance covering the specific activity of moving and handling.
Poor moving and handling practice can lead to:
- Back pain and musculoskeletal disorders, which can lead to the inability to work,
- Moving and handling accidents – which can injure both the person being moved and the employee, and
- Discomfort and a lack of dignity for the person being moved.
You must take action to prevent or minimise the risk of injury.
The most common injuries carers experience are back injuries. Injuring your back will limit your movement and your ability to care for someone. It could take a long time for you to recover. Lifting someone incorrectly can also damage fragile skin, cause shoulder and neck injuries, increase current breathing difficulties, or cause bruising or cuts.
How do I book for the online Moving and Handling People training course?
You can book for Moving and Handling People training course online. Just click ‘Buy Now’ in the top right-hand corner of this page to order the Moving and Handling People training course online. Follow the instructions to complete the order for your Moving and Handling People training course.
Once you complete your Moving and Handling People online order, you will receive a confirmation email within a few minutes. You will also receive a separate email providing you with the link to the Moving and Handling People training course online and login details. You should then be able to access the online Moving and Handling People training course portal immediately and complete your online training modules.
Certification and Accreditation
On successful completion of the online Moving and Handling People training course, you will be able to download, save and/or print a quality assured CPD certificate. Our CPD certificate can be used to provide evidence for compliance and audit (recognised internationally).
All learning materials are designed in collaboration with The Mandatory Training Group, the leading UK providers of workforce development solutions for all sectors.
LearnPac Systems and The Mandatory Training Group have worked with a range of subject matter experts to develop high-quality online training courses and programmes. The CPD Certification Service (CPDUK) has peer-reviewed independently and accredited our online Moving and Handling People training course as conforming to universally accepted Continuous Professional Development (CPD) guidelines.
On completion of the online Moving and Handling People training course, you will be required to complete an online assessment (pass mark of 80%).
If you don’t pass the first, don’t worry! You can take the online test as many times as you need with no extra charge.
Why choose LearnPac Systems’ E-Learning courses?
LearnPac Systems is a leading UK provider of accredited online training courses, programmes and qualifications including the following categories:
- Business Administration and Entrepreneurship
- Health, Safety and Welfare at Work
- Health and Social Care
- IT and Cyber Security
- Leadership and Management
- Mental Health Awareness
- Microsoft Office Applications
- Personal and Professional Development
- Statutory and Mandatory Training
- Soft Skills Development
- Train the Trainer
- Workplace Diversity.
LearnPac Systems is a leading UK provider of accredited online training courses, programmes and qualifications. Contact our Support Team on 024 7610 0090 or via Email to discuss your online training requirements.