Understanding Dementia Training – Level 1 – Online Training Course – Dementia Awareness Training Course – CPDUK Accredited.
Welcome to our online Understanding Dementia training course for front-line healthcare and social care providers. All our online training courses, programmes and qualifications are accredited by the CPD Certification Service (CPDUK).
Dementia is caused when the brain is damaged by diseases, such as Alzheimer’s disease or a series of strokes. Alzheimer’s disease is the most common cause of dementia, but not the only one. The specific symptoms that someone with dementia experiences will depend on the parts of the brain that are damaged and the disease that is causing dementia.
This comprehensive dementia awareness e-learning course explains what dementia is, including the causes and symptoms, and how it is diagnosed and treated. It also looks at some of the different types of dementia and how to support people with dementia.
Understanding Dementia Training Course – CPDUK Accredited E-Learning Course
Study method – Online, self-paced
Estimated duration (Indicative CPD hours) – 2 hours
Course format – Online (24/7 access)
Entry requirements – no prerequisites required
Assessment type – Complete end of course assessment (80% needed to pass and gain CPD certificate)
Certification/Qualification – Downloadable CPD certificate
Cost(s) of assessment and certification – Assessment and certification costs included in the course price
Course accreditation – CPD Certification Service (CPDUK)
Course access – Part-time (1-year access)
Course delivery – via desktop PC/MAC, laptops, tablets or smartphones.
Who is the online Understanding Dementia training course for?
This Understanding Dementia e-learning course should be completed by those who work in health and social care services, including:
- NHS medical, nursing, AHP and care staff
- Locum doctors and nurses
- Locum allied health professionals (AHPs)
- Agency nurses
- Agency workers
- Healthcare Assistants
- Support workers
- Care assistants
- Community services
- Social Care Support Workers
- Voluntary Staff working in the NHS.
Course aims and objectives
This online Understanding Dementia training course is aimed at individuals as well as health and social care staff to improve awareness of the importance of interacting with people who have dementia in a sensitive and understanding manner. This Understanding Dementia eLearning course explains what dementia is, including the changes and symptoms and best practice for those who have caring roles.
On completion of this online Understanding Dementia training course, learners will be able to:
- Define the term ‘dementia’,
- Have an awareness of the prevalence of dementia in the UK population,
- Identify signs of dementia and also explain how these signs may be associated with other conditions or circumstances,
- Explain why early diagnosis of dementia is essential,
- Support people who have dementia so that they can live fulfilling lives with their diagnosis,
- understand that each individual is unique and that dementia will not affect people in the same way,
- Have an understanding of the impact of dementia on individuals living with dementia, their families, friends and society as a whole,
- Describe the changes that people with dementia and their families experience,
- Explain the many factors which influence the experience of living with dementia,
- Describe person-centred approaches to caring,
- Understand the importance of effective communication and showing compassion to people who have dementia,
- Understand that signs of frustration and distress by a person who has dementia may be a means to communicate unmet needs,
- Be able to signpost individuals, families and carers to dementia advice, support and information, and
- To provide a FREE blended learning environment that is available to all individuals and businesses.
What is covered in this online Understanding Dementia training course?
This online Understanding Dementia training course covers the following:
- What is dementia?
- What causes dementia,
- Types of dementia,
- Person-centred dementia care,
- Dementia and existing health conditions,
- Dementia effects on family and friends,
- Changes brought about by dementia,
- Positive aspects,
- Where to get support and
What is dementia?
The word ‘dementia’ describes a set of symptoms that may include memory loss and difficulties with thinking, problem-solving or language. These changes are often small to start with, but for someone with dementia, they have become severe enough to affect daily life. A person with dementia may also experience changes in their mood or behaviour.
Dementia is caused when the brain is damaged by diseases, such as Alzheimer’s disease or a series of strokes. Alzheimer’s disease is the most common cause of dementia, but not the only one. The specific symptoms that someone with dementia experiences will depend on the parts of the brain that are damaged and the disease that is causing dementia. This comprehensive dementia awareness e-learning course explains what dementia is, including the causes and symptoms, and how it is diagnosed and treated. It also looks at some of the different types of dementia and how to support people with dementia.
Why is this Understanding Dementia training course essential?
Caring for a loved one with dementia poses many challenges for families and carers. People with dementia from conditions such as Alzheimer’s and related diseases have a progressive brain disorder that makes it more and more difficult for them to remember things, think clearly, communicate with others, or take care of themselves. Also, dementia can cause mood swings and even change a person’s personality and behaviour.
While developing this understanding dementia course, we knew all too well that working with dementia clients can be challenging, but it is also enriching. Providing specialist dementia training for health and social care workers makes a considerable difference in the following ways:
- It explains the biological components of dementia care (anatomy/physiology of the brain and differing dementias),
- It helps them to understand how dementia affects the client and their family,
- It enables carers to prepare for the unexpected in advance and how to deal with it when it comes,
- It minimises the risks for clients, their families and for carers in dealing with challenging behaviours, such as wandering, agitation or paranoia,
- It allows for the development of a person-centred approach in dementia care, and
- It educates the carer on the changing needs along the continuum of the dementia journey.
How do I book for the online Understanding Dementia training course?
You can book for Understanding Dementia training course online. Just click ‘Buy Now’ in the top right-hand corner of this page to order the Understanding Dementiatraining course online. Follow the instructions to complete the order for your Understanding Dementia training course.
Once you complete your Understanding Dementia online order, you will receive a confirmation email within a few minutes. You will also receive a separate email providing you with the link to the Understanding Dementia training course online and login details. You should then be able to access the online Understanding Dementia training course portal immediately and complete your online training modules.
Certification and Accreditation
On successful completion of the online Understanding Dementia training course, you will be able to download, save and/or print a quality assured CPD certificate. Our CPD certificate can be used to provide evidence for compliance and audit (recognised internationally).
All learning materials are designed in collaboration with The Mandatory Training Group, the leading UK providers of workforce development solutions for all sectors.
LearnPac Systems and The Mandatory Training Group have worked with a range of subject matter experts to develop high-quality online training courses and programmes. The CPD Certification Service (CPDUK) has peer-reviewed independently and accredited our online Understanding Dementia training course as conforming to universally accepted Continuous Professional Development (CPD) guidelines.
On completion of the online Understanding Dementia training course, you will be required to complete an online assessment (pass mark of 80%).
If you don’t pass the first, don’t worry! You can take the online test as many times as you need with no extra charge.
Why choose LearnPac Systems’ E-Learning courses?
LearnPac Systems is a leading UK provider of accredited online training courses, programmes and qualifications including the following categories:
- Business Administration and Entrepreneurship
- Health, Safety and Welfare at Work
- Health and Social Care
- IT and Cyber Security
- Leadership and Management
- Mental Health Awareness
- Microsoft Office Applications
- Personal and Professional Development
- Statutory and Mandatory Training
- Soft Skills Development
- Train the Trainer
- Workplace Diversity.
LearnPac Systems is a leading UK provider of accredited online training courses, programmes and qualifications. Contact our Support Team on 024 7610 0090 or via Email to discuss your online training requirements.