NHSX publishes AI buyers guide to ensure safety and efficiency.
NHSX has published a buyers checklist to aid trusts and healthcare providers in the procurement of artificial intelligence solutions.
The Buyer’s Checklist for AI in Health and Care is designed for procurement teams, chief finance officers, service transformation and commissioning leads, data scientists and analysts, and other chief officers tasked with transforming care through digital solutions.
It’s one of the first pieces of work to come out of the national AI Lab announced in August 2019.
The onset of coronavirus has accelerated the uptake of digital solutions, the guide states, but procurement teams need to be assured that AI technology meets the “highest standards” of safety and efficiency.
“Specific characteristics of AI give rise to important considerations for buyers, over and above those related to digital products in general. Therefore, the AI Lab has put together this short reference checklist to assist the decision-making of those responsible for procuring AI solutions in their organisations,” the guide said.
The checklist is informed by the code of conduct for data-driven health and care technology released by the Department of Health and Social Care in 2019.
The guide explains a series of questions that need to be addressed before AI should be purchased.
- Can this product do what it claims it can?
- Are the users of this product primed to use it?
- What information sharing and data protection protocols would need to be in place to comply with your information governance policy?
- Does this product meet regulatory standards?
- Will your existing systems work effectively alongside the new technology to ensure a clear and reliable workflow?
The AI Lab was created in August last year following a £250m pledge from the government. It would be used to improve diagnostics and screening in the NHS, developing treatments for cancer, dementia and heart disease.
It’s also focused on upskilling the workforce to use artificial intelligence.
A more comprehensive buyers guide will be developed in the coming months. The guide can be accessed here.
Creative Commons Disclosure
Why choose LearnPac E-Learning courses?
LearnPac Systems is a leading UK provider of accredited online training courses, programmes and qualifications including the following categories:
- Business Administration and Entrepreneurship
- Health, Safety and Welfare at Work
- Health and Social Care
- IT and Cyber Security
- Leadership and Management
- Mental Health Awareness
- Microsoft Office Applications
- Personal and Professional Development
- Statutory and Mandatory Training
- Soft Skills Development
- Train the Trainer
- Workplace Diversity.
LearnPac Systems is a leading UK provider of accredited online training courses, programmes and qualifications. Contact our Support Team on 024 7610 0090 or via Email to discuss your online training requirements.