App advises steps to treat back pain in the workplace.
An app created to reduce back pain has produced exercises aimed to treat the problem in the workplace.
Kaia Health claims that a few simple changes in the workplace could help reduce the problem. These include:
- Walking and talking during phone calls
- Taking a break from the screen every 30 minutes for at least two minutes
- Exercising regularly at your desk including arm stretches and neck rolls
- Walking over to and talking with a colleague rather than emailing them
- Arranging a workplace assessment to optimise the seating position and workstation
- Meditating for 10 minutes. Be mindful of the influence workplace stress and strain has
- Sitting correctly with your thighs at right angles to your body or sloping slightly down
Sedentary office occupations can cause back pain as a result of inactivity between back muscles and the spine – but this is not the only factor. A combination of high workload, posture, job dissatisfaction or fear over termination can increase the occurrence of back pain at work.
In a clinical study published recently in NPJ Digital Medicine, patients using Kaia reported significantly lower pain levels compared to the control group treated with physiotherapy and online education.
Stephan Huber, chief medical officer at Kaia Health, said: “The core problem is our modern, sedentary working life. We’re hunched at desks all day and this puts a strain on our back. We’re encouraging UK employers to adopt a holistic approach to tackling back pain in and out of the workplace – this could include increased access to exercise and relaxation like the Kaia app offers. Implementing these measures systematically for workers could lead to a more active way of dealing with the condition – and this will help to alleviate back pain and reduce the strain on the NHS.”
Creative Commons Disclosure
Why choose LearnPac E-Learning courses?
LearnPac Systems is a leading UK provider of accredited online training courses, programmes and qualifications including the following categories:
- Business Administration and Entrepreneurship
- Health, Safety and Welfare at Work
- Health and Social Care
- IT and Cyber Security
- Leadership and Management
- Mental Health Awareness
- Microsoft Office Applications
- Personal and Professional Development
- Statutory and Mandatory Training
- Soft Skills Development
- Train the Trainer
- Workplace Diversity.
LearnPac Systems is a leading UK provider of accredited online training courses, programmes and qualifications. Contact our Support Team on 024 7610 0090 or via Email to discuss your online training requirements.